Header Ads

Breaking News
recent

Man United skipper Maguire 'scared for life,' Pogba tests positive for COVID-19

 


Manchester United captain Harry Maguire has claimed he feared for his life and believed he was being kidnapped when he was arrested on a Greek holiday island.

The 27-year-old England star was given a suspended sentence of 21 months and 10 days in prison after he was found guilty of assaulting a police officer, swearing, resisting arrest and attempted bribery after his arrest on Mykonos.

"I don't feel I owe an apology to anybody. An apology is something when you have done something wrong. I regret putting the fans and club through this but I did nothing wrong," Maguire told BBC during his first interview after the scandal.

"It was horrible, not something I would want to do again. I don't wish it on anybody. It's the first time I've been inside a prison," he added.

Maguire has denied all charges and his legal team lodged an appeal against the verdict on Wednesday.

Harry Maguire (C) is seen leaving court in Syros where he was arrested on suspicion of assault after a fight at a bar in Mykonos, Greece, August 22, 2020. /VCG

"I found myself in a situation where it could have happened to anybody and anywhere. These two men approached my little sister, asked her where she was from, she responded and then my fiancee, Fern, saw my little sister's eyes going into the back of her head. She was fainting and was in and out of consciousness…," he said.

"My initial thought was that we were being kidnapped," he continued. "We got down on our knees and put our hands in the air and they just started hitting us. They were hitting my legs saying my career is over. Saying: 'No more football. You won't play again'.

"At this point, I thought there was no chance these are police so I tried to run away. I was in that much of a panic, fear. Scared for my life. All the way through it."  

Insisting that his conscience is clear, Maguire said, "I know what happened that night. I know the truth. When I speak about it I get worked up but that's because it just makes me feel a bit angry inside. I will move on. I am mentally strong enough. 

"I have great faith in Greek law that the retrial will give us more time to prepare, gather the evidence and allow witnesses into the court. I'm really confident the truth will be told and come out."  

World Cup-winning midfielder Paul Pogba has tested positive for coronavirus. /VCG

Meanwhile, Maguire's teammate Paul Pogba has tested positive for COVID-19 and faces at least 10 days of quarantine, according to France coach Didier Deschamps.

"I've completed at the very last minute a change in the list, because Paul Pogba, who was previously on the list, unfortunately for him he carried out a test yesterday which was returned as positive this morning. So at the last moment, he had to be replaced by Eduardo Camavinga," Deschamps told reporters during a press briefing on Thursday.

Later in the day, United said: "Everybody at United wishes Paul a speedy recovery ahead of the new season."

No comments:

© 2017 muchtalks.blogspot.com. Theme images by duncan1890. Powered by Blogger.